Monday, September 21, 2026

2022 Blue Farm King Ridge Vineyard, Fort Ross-Seaview, Sonoma County Pinot Noir

 After representing the West Sonoma Coast through Chardonnay and Pinot Noir for essentially a year now, I was super excited to finally get to visit Blue Farm to taste through some of their wines. 

It's a charming spot, but is a home, so I understand now why bookings fill up so quickly, being already limited. It's a comfortable space, surrounded by culinary and rose gardens. If in Sonoma, I highly recommend planning a visit.

This wine wasn't one from our flight that day, but I acquired it out of curiosity due to its closer proximity to the vineyard I had been representing. 

There is a marked minerality on the nose with a ferrous quality along with wet river stones and a resinous pine grove aroma. Fruit aromas are of black cherry, dark plum, currant and some blueberry bass notes. There is a lifting herbal component I'd place somewhere between sweet basil and tarragon which adds liveliness along with a candied orange peel aspect.

It enters a bit darker on the palate in its fruit profile, with flavors of acai, black plum, black cherry, pomegranate and a savory element with an almost basalmic quality that is quite interesting. There is terrific depth of fruit that is quite expressive along with balanced accents of spice and toasted vanilla. To perhaps oversimplify, everything combined is reminiscent of boysenberry pie. It has fine-grained tannin that leads to a somewhat chalky feel on the finish that grips and holds on, making the finish nice and long and not allowing the acidity to wash itself clean. The acidity is medium, which for this region is perhaps due to the very warm season in 2022. That said, it's not lacking and the acidity is quite pleasant and well-integrated. 

Quite enjoyable wine!



No comments:

Post a Comment

2022 Blue Farm King Ridge Vineyard, Fort Ross-Seaview, Sonoma County Pinot Noir

 After representing the West Sonoma Coast through Chardonnay and Pinot Noir for essentially a year now, I was super excited to finally get t...